The sand dunes of Merzouga
The dunes of Erg Chebbi next to the village of Merzouga are Morocco’s largest. Over 150 metres in height they extend over 40 km into Tafilalet Valley. You will never forget the gracefulness of their shapes in this otherworldly universe of changing colours and infinite horizons. Here are all the ingredients for an unforgettable discovery of the Moroccan Sahara. An inn only a few miles from the dunes will be the base camp for your exploration.
> A guesthouse in Merzouga : A kasbah inn only a few kilometres from the dunes. Built in a little oasis stolen from the arid desert, this guesthouse is where Michel, a Saharan for thirty years now, set up his Garden of Allah. Getting back to a simple life of silence, simplicity, comfortable authenticity, local cuisine and friendship was his aim in starting up his inn. Today it includes about a dozen rooms, a pool a patio, and large gardens where he greets his guests with kindness and enthusiasm.
Price for this stay in Morocco
Your stay starting from 200€ per person based on a 2 person trip for 3 nights in the guesthouse
This price is per person, based on a 2 person trip and sharing a room
Final price will vary according to the number of people and the season.
- 3 nights in a double room
- All meals
- The transfer to and from Ouarzazate
Not included :
- Transfers from Marrakech
Things to do while there
- Go horseback riding or for a ride on the back of a camel
- Immerse yourself in the daily life of this immense oasis by walking through its gardens to meet its residents and see how they have maintained their ancestral culture.
- Take advantage of the simple comforts of the inn, its pool and the friendliness and availability of the staff who are ready to share all of the knowledge of the desert with youO
- A very interesting library dedicated to all things desert
- Go for a day long hike in the erg (dune sea) on the high dunes. A once in a lifetime experience
- Go in December or January, the low season means there won’t be many other travellers, the weather is fresh and the winter sun is beautiful
- In the summer, the desert can be perfectly pleasant with the right planning: afternoon naps and pool time to make up for, early mornings and late nights.
How to access ?
Merzouga is accessible from the Ouarzazate airport. It takes about 360 km and 5 hours of driving on a very picturesque road along the Dades and Tafilalet Valleys. The transfer is included in the price. We can also organize your transfer from Marrakech for an extra charge.